Monday, March 17, 2014

vegan update.

Black eyed pea cakes + guacamole
I know this is all you can think about right?

How is Jess doing with being vegan?? I have to get out of bed to go check.

So I'm sorry for this nonsense post. But this blog is primarily a place to scrapbook our life and interests in a way that is open to other people (and hopefully invites your participation!), yet I will have writer's block forever if I feel like it all has to actually be interesting to the whole entire universe.

This is where we are: My step-mom and I were going to do this together and haven't been able to be in touch as much this month; so my resolve has been languishing a bit without her camaraderie. When I see cheese grits on the menu I think : Wait, am I the only one doing this?


blurry cookbook picture (don't worry, your eyes are probably fine.)

My second but similar excuse qualifier of my progress is that Daniel feels only slightly motivated to participate this time around. He wants to be supportive and really enjoyed eating vegan when we first got married but he isn't leading the charge this time as he was before. He feels like he needs to remember why we would ever want to live without dairy and would like to watch the Forks Over Knives documentary again before he makes a decision. In the meantime, there will be girl scout cookies.

Now, it isn't that I don't feel passionate enough about this way of life not to jump ship if I'm the only one on board. But it is more difficult to do something counter-cultural without community. (This has many - and more significant - applications.) But in the less-consequential scenario of choosing a vegan diet, it's nice to have someone to share recipes with or to nod empathetically when you explain that you had to forego birthday cake.

All of that to say that I haven't been completely plant-based since my self-pep talk post about going vegan. But in the interest of celebrating small victories, here are some practical changes that we've made either this month or since the first time around and that we will hopefully be able to keep.

  1. We don't drink cow's milk. This is an easy one. Almond milk is DE-licious. I also experimented with coconut milk this month. Jury's still out. It worked ok for some things.
  2. Earth Balance. I discovered that since our last attempt at plant-based eating, my favorite buttery substitute is now sold in a whipped version, which means it is easier to scoop, spread, taste and cook with. I very sincerely think it is just as good as butter.
  3. We bought and consumed an entire 1/2 gallon of Edy's Butterfinger ice cream. (If you are not trying to be vegan and have not tried this, do yourself a favor and go get some.)
  4. We eradicated cheese, cream, dairy-based dressings, and ice cream (see above) from our refrigerator and freezer.
  5. I have corralled all of our vegan cookbooks and have begun using them again.
  6. I have spent too much money at the grocery store tried several new recipes that are plant-based. Nothing like an unsustainable grocery bill to take the wind out of your sails. I have learned by trial and error that for our family and for our budget, it isn't necessary to make a fancy recipe every night. Usually one special dish can go for several meals around our house. The other times we are fine to eat simpler things - like a bowl of oatmeal or a smoothie for breakfast, peanut butter and jelly or a vegetable wrap for lunch and a baked potato and salad for dinner. Oh and soup. Soup has a way of making you feel like you have everything you need to feel satisfied, even without heavy cream.
  7. I am making a lot less "specifically for baby" food. With this way of eating, I don't have to worry that what is on my plate will not be good for her. She can nibble away at whatever she swipes from us.
  8. With the exception of the occasional egg, we are cooking and eating a plant-based diet when we are home. On the other hand, when at the table of friends and family, or even at a restaurant with them, we have been thoroughly enjoying what we are served.
  9. I am learning to be okay with slow progress and moderation.
The part of me that really needs to learn #7 reads back over this list and feels like a failure. But the more rational part of me understands that slow progress is better than no progress and that allowing myself to feel like it has to be all or nothing is what defeated me the first time. Also? I am kind of okay with where I am on this. Context is important. I am choosing plant-based not because of an allergy or an already existing health condition, but in an effort to be a good steward of Creation, my health and our resources. Reminding myself of the why helps keeping things a little more sane.

What about you? What goals are you working toward or disciplines are you practicing? Do you celebrate small victories? Is there any super high, totally self-imposed standard that you are holding yourself to that you can relax on a bit? 

1 comment:

  1. 1) Yay for hitting 'publish'!!
    2) That looks magical. Share the recipe? (Although, I'm sure I'll have to substitute something for some bread crumbs somewhere along the way since I don't eat gluten.)
    3) I have decided that I just love all food, basically. Yep - that about covers it. I think somebody would take my southern card if I went vegan. I'm already pushing it with the no gluten. ;) But, I am excited about your journey so I can nag you for your favorite recipes, as we are trying to incorporate more veggies into our lives. :)
    4) You are right. Strive for progress. Applaud small victories. Perfection in anything is your biggest enemy. Striving for perfection will make you feel like a big ole loser every time. :(

    ReplyDelete